Posts for tag: Untagged
Over 35 million men and 21 million women suffer from hair loss. It can manifest itself in several ways, and several factors can contribute to it. Most hair loss is not preventable, but that doesn’t mean you have to accept it. With a variety of solutions currently available, hair loss progression can be slowed or even reversed in some cases. Most people think hair loss is only about seeing bald spots or thinning hair. However, hair loss is anything but simple and can have many causes.
Hair Loss Explained
Hair loss occurs when the hair growth and shedding cycle are disrupted, or scar tissue replaces a damaged hair follicle. It can affect any part of your body, but for this blog, the focus will be the scalp. It is most commonly found in men and can be temporary or permanent. Symptoms can include gradual thinning on top of the head, circular or patchy bald spots, sudden loosening of the hair, and patches of scaling that spread over the scalp.
Genetics is the most common cause of hair loss. Other reasons include hormonal changes, medical conditions (alopecia areata, diabetes, and lupus cause hair loss), medications and supplements, stressful events, radiation therapy, and specific hair treatments and styles.
Even though you cannot prevent most types of hair loss, there are steps you can take to avoid the additional loss of hair. A few examples are:
- Avoid hairstyles that pull the hair tight, such as buns and ponytails.
- When washing or brushing, treat your hair gently by reducing the amount of pulling.
- Avoid harsh hair treatments such as rollers, perms, and hot oil.
- Avoid constantly rubbing, pulling, or twisting your hair.
Nutrafol: Hair Loss Solution
Alamo Heights Dermatology now offers Nutrafol, featured in People, Esquire, GC, Forbes. This 2018 Esquire Grooming Award winning treatment is a drug-free hair health solution that has equal benefits for both men and women. The ingredients in Nutrafol help address the key factors that contribute to hair loss by improving the overall health of those who take it. Increased hair growth and fullness, and improvement in hair strength and appearance are a few of the reported results. In addition to improving hair quantity and quality, Nutrafol has been shown to reduce stress and fatigue, enhance sleep, focus, and concentration.
If you are ready to take the next steps in improving your overall hair health, there is no better spot than Alamo Heights Dermatology. Our expert support staff and board-certified dermatologists are ready to help discover the right solution for you. To learn more about Nutrafol or one of our other hair loss treatment solutions, call (210) 255-8447 or visit our website.
November is the perfect time to take advantage of our specials on Ultherapy and Revision Nectifirm®. These two options boast many of the benefits from their more invasive counterparts. Fine lines diminish and skin firms, providing a more youthful appearance. In this blog, we will give you more information about how these two treatments work. So, if you want to take the wobble out of your gobble just in time for the holidays, stay tuned!
What are they?
Wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process. As the years go by, skin loses its elasticity, gets drier, and becomes thinner, due to the decreased production of collagen. Eventually, we all face the effects of aging, but some factors speed up that timeline. These include increased sun exposure, genetics, and skin type (fair hair, blue eyes, and light skin). While aging is inevitable, science has provided us with options. If you aren’t ready to take the plunge with cosmetic surgery, Ultherapy and Nectifirm® can be great options for you.
- Ultherapy uses ultrasound technology that is targeted to penetrate deep beneath the skin’s surface. This technology stimulates the production of collagen. The skin becomes firmer and tighter. It can be used to treat aging skin around the brows, chin, neck, and chest areas. The treatments take 30-90 minutes, depending on the area of treatment. Ultherapy can be a standalone treatment, or in conjunction with a facelift to increase results. Results can typically be seen in 2-3 months as the body produces more collagen, and there is no downtime. For the month of November, we’re offering 15% off Ultherapy treatments for the neck.
- Nectifirm® is an award-winning formula that you apply at home. It features five peptides, plant extracts, antioxidants, and unique biotechnological blends that work together to create a more youthful and smoother chin, neck, and chest area. Nectifirm® is applied twice a day in the morning and evening, and can be used as a preventative treatment, or for early to moderate signs of aging. Results times vary, but typically take a few short weeks to see results. Until the end of November, we’ll be offering 15% off Revision Nectifirm® in office.
Aging Without the Wrinkles
Alamo Heights Dermatology empowers you to take a stand in the fight against aging skin. If fine lines and sagging skin are causing your self-confidence to diminish, our board-certified dermatologists and exemplary team are ready to help.
Don’t miss out on your chance to receive Ultherapy treatments for the neck and Nectifirm® at a 15% discount this November. To hear more about the benefits of Ultherapy and Revision Nectifirm®, contact us to set up our appointment or purchase your product. You can call us at (210) 255-8447 or visit our website to schedule an appointment today.
Once the holidays are on the horizon and the weather changes, it’s easy to forget to stop and take care of yourself. As the weather begins to change, it’s essential to take care of your health, especially when it comes to your skin. Your skin is the largest organ your body has. It protects us, helps regulate body temperature, and allows us to feel sensations. Changes in temperature or humidity throughout the year can have a profound effect on those with skin conditions.
Weather and Skin Conditions
Warmer months usually mean higher humidity that can keep your skin moisturized naturally. Keeping your skin moisturized creates a barrier that keeps harmful irritants out and holds in the water your skin needs. In the fall and winter months, the air is drier and takes away your natural moisturizer. If you are diagnosed with a skin condition, how you manage the condition may be somewhat dependent on weather changes. Everyone’s skin is different and requires different care; however, some skin conditions may be more predictable than others, allowing you to get a head start when it comes to prepping for weather changes.
- Acne- Keeping your skin moisturized throughout the drier months will help reduce skin irritation that causes outbreaks.
- Eczema- Over-dried skin can lead to increased eczema activity. Rapid temperature changes can also cause eczema to worsen, like a fireplace, or long periods of exposure to the sun and cold weather.
- Rosacea- The lack of moisture and biting temps can trigger a flare. Rosacea is also triggered by spicy food and alcohol, so even a spiked glass of eggnog intended to warm you up can worsen your symptoms.
- Psoriasis- The lack of humidity and sun contributes to the worsening of psoriasis symptoms. Additionally, psoriasis
tends to flare up more in the wintertime since there is less ambient UV light. Take extra care to protect yourself from illness.
Things You Can Do at Home
While there is nothing you can do about the changing of the seasons, there are some things you can do at home to help maintain healthy skin. Below are some winter and fall tips that everyone can use!
- Use broad-spectrum sunblock anytime you are going to be outside.
- Reduce long periods of exposure to the heat or cold and cover your body appropriate to the weather.
- Moisturize regularly and right after a shower.
- Limit shower/bath time to a few minutes and avoid using too hot of water.
Skin conditions can be better managed with a dermatologist helping to guide you through the best treatment options. Make sure you consult yours since everyone’s skin is impacted differently by the weather. If you’re ready to take control of your skin, the experts at Alamo Heights Dermatology can help determine the best plan for you. Our office offers a comprehensive treatment option list for all your dermatological needs. You can call us at 210-255-8447, or book an appointment online HERE.