As the seasons change, your skincare routine should evolve as well. With the arrival of the winter months and cold, crisp air, humidity levels plummet leaving moisture levels in the skin depleted. Dry skin can flake and cause fine lines to be more noticeable. Dry skin is also uncomfortable, and at its worst, can crack and even bleed. So what can you do to help restore and heal your dry skin through the long winter months?
1. Talk to a skin expert. Dermatologists and aestheticians are experts when it comes to skin. These skin specialists can help analyze your skin type and troubleshoot your current skin care regimen. Then, they will recommend the skin care products that you should be using specifically for your skin type.
2. Be mindful of shower and bathing routines. Long, hot showers are kryptonite for dry skin. Make sure to limit your bath or shower times and use warm water rather than hot.
3. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize! Moisturizing is especially important. The moisturizer that you used in the summer time is probably not going to do your skin justice in the winter. Opt for an ointment or cream in the winter rather than a lotion. Moisturizing right after a bath or shower can also help seal moisture into the skin.
4. Add moisture to the air. Using a humidifier in your home can do wonders for your skin in the winter. While heaters blast us with hot, dry air, humidifiers put more moisture in the air, helping to prevent skin from drying out.
5. Don’t forget the sunscreen! It’s just as important to apply sunscreen in winter as it is in the summer! According to the American Academy of Dermatology, you need to wear sunscreen every day if you will be outside. Even on cloudy days, up to 80 percent of the sun’s harmful UV rays can penetrate your skin. Snow, sand, and water increase the need for sunscreen because they reflect the sun’s rays.
These are just a few tips to help banish uncomfortable, dry skin during the long winter months. If you’re interested in a scheduling an appointment with a Dermatologist or Aesthetician to discuss your skin concerns, give Alamo Heights Dermatology a call at 210-255-8447. Our medical team is dedicated to helping clients achieve amazing skincare and aesthetic results. Call us today to set up your consultation!